We have exciting plans this year!
Chuck Baird, also known as The Alaskan Pioneer, left for Latouche Island in southern Alaska in June, 2012, and will be spending a year in the wild, alone. He will be building a small cabin to live in, and is taking a dog and goat. He will live there for one year, alone, with no communication with the outside world, with the exception of an "uplink" to the web, via his Alaskan Pioneer Facebook Page.
The Homeschool Learning Network was in contact with him before he left, and we asked him for his permission to follow along and create projects and lessons for our homeschooling families based on his adventure, and the information he shares via his uplink connection.
A Free Project for Our Homeschooling Community
The Homeschool Learning Network now provides a free community for homeschoolers, which includes collaborative and individual projects for our homeschooling families, along with many other features.
One of our main features this year will be our Alaskan Pioneer Project! This will include:
- Lesson plans and activities to learn about The Alaskan Pioneer
- Lesson plans and activities to explore the Island he will be staying on
- Photos, maps, and information about Latouche Island
- Lesson plans and activities that follow The Alaskan Pioneer as he reveals his experiences
- Message boards to allow all students and families to participate in the journey
- Much more to be revealed as his adventures unfold!
How to be Part of the Adventure
This year-long project is FREE to all our Community Plan members, simply register for free, and join in the adventure! Just look for the Alaskan Pioneer Icon on your main Community Member Homepage, click, and read Chuck Baird's plans, read the history of the island, and any other information that is available and will become available throughout the year.
Special thanks to Chuck Baird for allowing us access to post all of his communications within our free pages for all to learn from. We hope to see you join in the adventures!
Good Luck Chuck!